But there are some general rules of thumb that will make sure your property appeals to the widest market possible.
Put yourself in the buyers’ shoes and you’ll probably agree, these features are likely to impress:
- Amenity: convenience is what we all crave in today’s busy world so if you can boast ‘walking distance’ to shops, schools, cafes and public transport then you put yourself in the sales fast lane. One caveat applies: you don’t want to be so close that noise is a problem.
- An outdoor area: this is Australia and we love a BBQ, be it in a sprawling backyard or a townhouse courtyard.
- Modern appliances: updated appliances can shave years off an older kitchen and in Brisbane air conditioning can be a real plus when selling.
- Neutral décor: don’t be beige, but don’t go technicolour either when it comes to styling your house for sale. Stay stylish but depersonalise your décor so buyers can see themselves – not you – living in the home.
- Car parking on the title: this can be a deal breaker for inner city and near-city pads where on street parking is scarce.