But there are some interesting new pool products on the market which can give you a backyard dip for a much smaller hit to the hip pocket.
Check out these novel ways to cool off without freezing the household budget, courtesy of Domain.
- Modular kit pools can be a cheap option, with Classic Pools supplying 6 x 3.6 metre overground pools for $7000.
- Stainless steel and Colorbond circular rainwater pools from Outback Plunge Pool can start from under $15,000.
- Shipping container pools can start from just north of $30,000 plus installation of $10,000 to $20,000 plus fencing.
- Fibreglass pools can start at under $50,000.
- Top-range in-ground pools can start at $80,000 and owners with equity in their homes are choosing to spend a lot more than that to get top range lifestyle features including infinity edging, waterfalls and pool houses.
- And of course there’s the option to buy a house with a pool if you don’t want the hassle of building your own in-ground creation.
- Failing that … it’s hard to pass up a $2 Summer Dip at Brisbane City Council pools!