Brisbane City Council offers a range of tips for homeowners to be ready for summer.
- Trim tree branches so they’re well clear of your house
- Clear your home’s gutters, down pipes and stormwater drains
- If you have large trees near your home, it’s best to get them checked by a qualified arborist
- Understand your property’s risk of flooding. During severe weather events, council provide sandbags from a number of locations – make sure you know where to go to get them.
- As a storm approaches, secure loose items in your yard, such as furniture or toys.
- Prepare an emergency kit. It should include bottled water, a first aid kit, a torch with extra batteries, a battery-powered radio, copies of your home insurance and other important documents and any special care items needed for elderly family members.
- Don’t forget your pets! Include pet food in your emergency kit and make sure your dog is registered and microchipped. If you can, bring your pooch inside during a storm, as they can get frightened and run away.
- After the storm, stay away from fallen power lines. Report them to Energex on 13 19 62.
- In the event of an emergency, dial 000. If your home is damaged during a storm, contact the State Emergency Service (SES) on 13 25 00.