Domain has compiled a list of archetypal horror housemates. Study this list carefully so you can spot the signs and make a move before it’s too late.
- The Couch Hog: they claim the couch and the television, morning and night.
- The Older Cool Dude: this guy is a decade older than the average share-houser but tries to kick it like a 20-something, often with cringe-worthy results.
- The Kitchen Stinker: no vegemite sandwiches on the menu here – this housemate will insist on cooking with baked beans, eggs, blue cheese, fish sauce and anything else pungent.
- The Party Animal: if you find a goon sack attached to your clothes line chances are you’re living with one.
- The Landlord’s Offspring: a landlord’s dream tenant can be a housemate from hell – they follow you around with the spray and wipe and keep mum and dad dutifully informed of share house conditions.
Need to escape your horror housemates? Check our listings for rent.
Ready to put share-housing days behind you? View our current listings for sale.